We all know we have to exercise and eat healthily. We are reminded when we drive by the gym on the way home from work and when that aching lower back pain resurfaces. Even though we know it, we just can seem to consistently eat healthily and make it to the gym.
If that is you, you are not alone. Many people struggle with the same thing, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Here are a few strategies that you can use in your life to help you move in the right direction.
Eating healthy and losing weight
If you want to lose body fat, you have to change your eating habits. You should be eating real foods. Meat and vegetables, mostly vegetables until you feel full. This is probably one of the most difficult things for people to do. It is not only a matter of will power. Setting yourself up for success plays a huge role in whether you will be successful long term. Try the following strategies to improve your eating habits to help you lose those extra pounds.
- If you know you shouldn’t be eating it don’t have it in your house. You can’t snack on those cookies if they are not in the house.
- Meal prep in advance so that you spend less of your will power deciding what to eat through the day.
- If meal prepping is not your thing, try cooking extra for dinner to eat for lunch the next day. I found this is better a strategy for me because I have a hard time eating food that is several days old.
- Tell your friends, family, and significant other that you are eating healthier. It will hold you accountable. This is especially true with your spouse because it will make a huge difference when deciding where to eat out. Your partner is most likely to support you and maybe join you after they see your results. If they do not, at least ask them to not eat the cookies in front of you and not to bring them home.
- Take it one day at a time. If you did not eat how you wanted in one meal, recommit to your goal and correct it on the meal. Life happens, do not spend time feeling guilty, but don’t make this the norm. Remember it is a lifestyle change and you are in it for the rest of your life.
- If you can, find a community that has similar goals and values. The right support system will help keep you on track and consistent.
Fitness and exercise
Exercise has a lot of benefits both long and short term. The right exercise program will help you lose the extra pounds quicker as well as help you reach old age strong and healthy. If you are dealing with past injuries, a strength and conditioning program will help you regain your life back and live pain-free. Use the following strategies stick with your fitness program.
- Schedule your daily workouts on your calendar. It is a lot easier to commit when you have set time aside to work on your fitness.
- Make it as important as going to work. If you don’t make it a priority it will never happen. You work to make a living to enjoy life, not the other way around. The same is true for your fitness.
- Find a community that you enjoy exercising with. The right crowd makes exercising more fun and it helps you push yourself and achieve results quicker. It is easier to stay consistent when you do it with people you enjoy being around with.
- Make it the best part of your day. One of my favorite things about working out is that regardless of how my day went, I can always finish my workout and feel like I had a small victory. I did something difficult that I was not sure I was going to be able to do. It helps me start or end my day on a positive note.
- If you can, do it with your spouse/partner or find a friend who will join you on the journey. Nothing brings people closer together than a little suffering together. I love working out with my wife because it brings us closer. It is also one of the reasons I loved my time in the military. I made friendships that have lasted over a decade.
Planning and placing yourself in an environment where you are most likely to succeed is one of the major factors for whether you will succeed. Remember, you are doing this for the long term, not just summer. Give yourself room to fail, shake it off, learn from it and correct it the next day.